Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fighting Pollution



 As I am sure all of you aware Beijing has had terrible pollution here lately. We have had three weeks straight of hazardous air conditions. There has only been one day in the past three weeks were the air quality has been deemed good. The smog has been very dense I haven't been able to see the mountains in the distance in weeks, let alone across the street! 
 

 When I moved to China, I was aware that Beijing was notorious for poor air quality. I remember the first few days here reading the air quality. I believe in the first few days I was here the air was reading at 70 to 100. Which at the time I thought was horrible! I could feel the effects immediately. In time I got use to good air meaning days that were 40. I began thinking, the air wasn't that terrible. Sure we had smoggy day but they were days that were filled with sunshine and blue skies! Nowadays I have seen one blue sky day in about three weeks.

 This being said I decided to try to fight the pollution and keep myself healthy. I have take precautions such as buying an air purifier for me to use in the apartment. It helps tremendous. You don't realize how much the poor air quality really effects you. I constantly had a sore throat and a cough. I also have taken to wearing a mask outside. (Though its probably pointless since if I  cover my nose I can't see out of my glasses and I heard you absorb pm 2.5 through your skin....). 

Overall I am still enjoying Beijing despite the pollution. I move my activities to indoor activities and find plenty to do in the city. And at the end of the day I come home and sleep knowing that I am breathing in clean air!




No comments:

Post a Comment