Sunday, January 6, 2013

Shopping or Culture?

Recently I have decided that I should be more cultural during the cold months instead of well shopping. I love shopping as everyone knows. Its addicting really. I find myself in stores... I try to buy things on sale or well bargaining for a better price. And its very hard in the winter. Because it Beijing you have very few options...one be cultural and walk outside to get to Museums and cultural food, two walk to the bar, three go shopping in mall that are conveniently off the subway line (no going outside :) ) or four stay home and watch movies.  I have been doing the last two more frequently. So the other day I decided I am in China I should probably be more cultural and experience China. As my one friend put it...hmm should you go shopping or see culture that's a hard choice... 




So I did go shopping and then made plans for the next weekend to see cultural stuff! I then saw one of the very few  Catholic Churches in Beijing. It was really nice but it was very dark and gloomy. Just like you would expect an old church to be. It was nice to see. Naturally the church was called the Wangfuijing Catholic Church of China... How many wangfuijing Catholic churches are out there in the world? Not many I am guessing...

 Then I really decided I should be cultural! I decided to go to the Science and Technology museum which was really different. They had all kinds of exhibits that didn't make sense and interesting things. Like a giant watch and a fun house maze that was an optical illusion. They had a random dinosaur there and they also had baby chicks in a tiny glass home. They had riding a train simulator, as well as riding a car simulator. It was quite interesting. Something different. Anywho I decided to go on a museum crawl now. Every week or so while it is cold I am going to go to the various museums in China. They have all kinds of museums. The currency museum, the police museum, the stamp museum, natural history museum. They have a museum for everything!

And lastly I decided to try to eat Chinese food a little bit more. So I had traditional hot pot. My friend Emma was our tour guide and ordered food for us. It was sooo good! And tonight I ate dumplings for dinner. So I decided to be a bit more adventurous. Except tomorrow I am going out for pizza and beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment