Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Silk Street

The joys of silk street in Beijing China. Silk street is the number one place for foreigners to go to get there Chinese gifts. Its a five story wonderland of bargaining and anything you could possibly imagine. They have silk sheets, silk scarves, silk hankerchiefs, silk underwear, silk suits, silk paintings, they have fake silk everything, they have any Chinese gift you can imagine. Whether it be painted dragons or Buddha statues you name they have it. They have every "name brand" shoe out there along with the non name brand such as U&G and some weird knock off Nike shoes. And they love foreigners in this market place. They try to rip you off like no one elses business. They play a game where they say special price just for you 1600 and you are like no way. Then its ok you are my friend Ill make it 1400, try 100 I say. They laugh its impossible. What about 1100. I say ya right, they say ok real price.. I say 100... no that not possible. Then the price goes down but not nearly enough. So you finally walk away, as you walk away the price is then reduced to 100!

I have been there several times since moving to China. I have seen all kinds of people in the Silk Market. My favorite are the older women in the fancy coats and blinged up nails and hair. The richy rich. I was getting a pair of boots for 120 and they were trying to get high heel (really ugly shoes btw like hooker heels). They lady told them I think like 2400 for a pair of these shoes. The rich lady laughed and was like no 1600. (meanwhile I am rolling my eyes thinking you could get those for less than 200). The shop ladies loved this. I love watching people get ripped off at the Silk Market mainly cause they are idiots. They fall for the gimmaces of these people. The people who hate to bargain are another treat for them. They say oh I don't want to bargain they work hard for there money (please....).

I got ripped off myself the other day I bought an item and brought it home. I got home and realized it was not good quality. My one friend said oh thats a shame that happened you are stuck with that. Ha no, I marched back to the Silk Street and told the shop lady flat out this is not authentic. She exchanged right away. If you call them out they will give you what you want. People don't realize this. My friend was like I would have been too scared to do that. What did I have to lose by trying, nothing! You learn in China that if you want something you gotta march out there and get it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I wish I was brave enough to haggle I would be one of those people who are too scared. Go Elizabeth!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how much you have learned in the 4 months you have been over there. I know I want to go to the silk market when we come!!

    ReplyDelete