Tuesday, November 27, 2012

If you had asked me a year ago what I would be doing with my life I would never in a million years have said teaching English in China. Ask me a year ago if I would even go to China I would have said no. So where am I living, China. Things I never thought I would do I am doing now in China. Things I would have thought completely strange now I think are normal. 

I thought I would share some of these.

1. Squatting to go the bathroom. One of the main reasons I thought I wouldn't go to China or even camping in the woods without a toilet. Squatting sounds so primitive so odd. Yet now I have no issues doing it in China. And I would even consider now going on a long hike at home where I would have to squat in the woods. Yesterday I saw a girl squatting and texting..yes it does happen. (the door was open fyi I was not peeking in)

2. People staring. People stare at you all the time here. There is nothing odd about that. Because I am different they stare. It doesn't bother me now nor do I think about it. I will stare back though

3. Children peeing in the street. I went to the museum the other day and a little girl was peeing in the street. Now could the dad have waited to take her inside yes but what is better to pee on the street or to pee in a toilet.. When I first got here I was shocked to see that, now its like oh there goes another child peeing in the street.

4.  Crossing the street in the middle of traffic. There are no pedestrian right of way laws here.  They may have the little green and red guys at the cross walk but its fair game. Scooters and bikes can go whenever, left hand turns are happening the same time the light is green. And they don't care if you are crossing or not. They will go and you will go at the same time. Its whoever has the most guts. And its gotta be you!

5.  Pollution..ok not something I have gotten use to but its part of the daily grind. Instead of asking how is the weather, we ask how is the pollution today. We have air quality index apps on our phones... 

Those are just a few weird things that have become the norm.  China is an interesting place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment