Sunday, January 26, 2014

Wow

Very frequently I find myself saying wow under my breath in China. When a woman gets her monthly visit here I find myself constantly saying wow. At home its no big deal, you go on with your life. Some people may make jokes about mood swings, making women very unhappy. However here its a different story. There are all kinds of rules of what you can and can't do during that special time.
  • You are not allowed to eat red meat.
  • You can't drink anything with caffeine in it.
  • You should drink warm water and brown sugar.
  • The air condition can't be on.
  • You shouldn't really go out and do stuff- you should stay home and relax.
  • Going to work is optional. (plenty of girls have called off)
  • You need to use tissues not toilet paper.
  • You can't take pain medicine
  • You can't have any doctor's appointment during this time.
  • You can't have your teeth pulled because the bleeding is related.
These are just some of things I hear everyday at work. I am just left standing there thinking wow.

Pregnancy is another thing here that makes me say wow.
  • You need to wear a smock that will keep the microwaves away from your baby.
  • You can work but its highly recommended that you don't.
  • You can't go near the microwave if it is on.
The unexpected wow factors is common place in China. Everyday something small or big happens that leaves me saying wow.
  • When people don't know how to get on an escalator
  • How can people possibly walk so slow
  • Why is there a big pile of pee in front of the toilet?
  • Did you really just pick your nose and wipe it on the hanging thing in the taxi??
  • What is that smell?
  • Why run to the escalator when you are just going to stand on it?
  • Stinky tofu
  • Getting 10 chicken nuggets at McDonalds
  • Cleaning lady yelling at me for hitting the soap dispenser when the bathroom is a mess.
  • The pollution smells like ash.
  • Having a room full of people and its 80 degrees and no one turns on the air.
  •  The weird smells from construction sights
  • Fireworks at breakfast.
  • Raw meat laying out in the middle of the store.
  • Wearing a coat on a 70 degree day.
The list could go on. Everyday in China I just say wow.  Thankfully its Chinese New Year holiday. Vacation here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment