Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pollution

Growing up I read all kinds of books. I remember reading about sickly people and how they would go out into the country to get some fresh air. The fresh air made them stronger. Just like the saying- I need to go out and get some fresh air. Meaning out with bad and in with the new. 

 The longer I live in China the more I see and feel the effects of pollution in the air. At home an air quality action day consists of air particles being about 40 in the air. A typical day in Beijing is 100. In the winter it is normal to have days over 300. I have an app on my phone that warns me when the air starts to get unhealthy.

The winter especially in Beijing causes the air pollution to go up. Coal is used to heat the buildings in the winter. Factories outside of Beijing are actually the culprits for the air pollutants. When the wind blows a certain way bam its in Beijing. And sadly the city of Beijing sits in a valley. The air gets trapped in the city.



Recently I have noticed that my health is not what it has been at home. I am a healthy 26 women. I don't smoke. Since living in China I have had bronchitis 3 times. My lungs randomly will wheeze up. I can feel the tightness in my chest when the air is bad. In addition depending on what is in the air headaches develop. And what is scary is that I will not be the only one. At work it seems we all get headaches at the same time. It is common place to have a cough everyday here. Phelm and mucus in your throat is normal. People spit up on the street all the time simply because they are trying to get the bad stuff out of their lungs. Not to mention minor aches and pains are more common place. You feel as if you are falling apart. Drinking hot water actually does help, because the hot water soothes your throat.

It is scary to see and feel the effects of poor air quality. Lung cancer and bowel cancer are the leading causes of death in China.

The air is not always terrible in Beijing. But when it is you can feel it. I can't wait to go and breath some fresh air. My lungs will do a happy dance.




No comments:

Post a Comment