Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cold Days

When they said Beijing was cold I thought they were exaggerating. I thought oh I am from Pittsburgh its cold in Pittsburgh. Nothing really prepared me for what I experienced today......

They decided today would be a good day to close my subway line down to get it ready for the extending of the subway line. I knew that getting to work and from work was going to be tricky. Getting to work was a piece of cake, hopped into a cab and got there. Coming home from work was a different story. I got off of work at 530. Before I left  I could see out the window that the traffic was really backed up and there was a ton of people outside. But I bravely thought oh I can get a taxi no problem! I bundled up my four layers of tops and just jeans (mistake always wear two pants) and my down coat. I thought ok I am warm and ready to go.

Getting outside I realized that it wasn't just 20 degrees, the wind was howling like nuts. Making it feel like 0 degrees outside. So cold..... I walk around trying to get a taxi. The traffic was backed up and the taxi's were not stopping for me. Other people got in taxi's but when I tried to call a taxi they zoomed right passed me. After 45 minutes I walk back to work in disgust and in tears. I was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers or my legs anymore. Luckily my friend called me and she had a friend that helped me get on a bus to get home. I didn't get home until around 800.

So moral of this story...Beijing is cold. Really cold. It is nothing like Pittsburgh, the wind is horrible. SO I will no longer make fun of those people from the warmer climates when they say Beijing is so cold. It is cold.  And I am going to move somewhere warm when this is all said and done. As much as I love my new winter coat, I really really really hate being cold..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment