Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Art in China

 Yesterday I went to 798 art district, located somewhere in Beijing. The art district was something completely different that what I have seen in Beijing. An old factory was created into the art district. You can see the smoke stacks throughout the area and intermingled were cute little shops with the artist galleries inside them. Some of the surrounding area was questionable art, for instance was it made to look trashy or is it simple trashy looking?


Walking along the streets, you forget your in China. It reminds you of an old village back home. The streets were relatively clean and there were not many people walking around. You could spend hours just wandering around. Duck into any building and see different art galleries or stop for a cup of coffee or lunch. It looked like a nice place to go see in warmer weather as well. Little cafes had places to sit up on the roof and there were actual trees and greenery!

Some of the things they had in the galleries and the gift shop were quite appalling. I didn't post these pictures on facebook simply because I thought they were offensive. I am going to post them in the blog. Note these are not my beliefs I just think its simply appalling they create merchandise with this on it.














Other than appalling merchandise (who would simply buy these things is beyond me!) the art work was really neat. It was different and had the element of both modern art and china mixed together.




Overall the art district was a really neat place to walk around. I plan on going back when the weather is warmer and checking out more art galleries!

No comments:

Post a Comment